Do you have a tooth that needs to be pulled? Dental extractions in Cocoa, FL don’t have to be anything to fear. At PSJ Dental Care, we take the stress out of extractions and make sure you stay comfortable the entire time.
Why Dental Extraction May Be Necessary
Dental extraction is always saved as a last resort. Therefore, if the dentist recommends an extraction, rest assured they are making a careful, well-evaluated decision. A tooth may need to be extracted if:
- The tooth has deteriorated to an extent that restoration is not possible
- The tooth has dislodged from the bone due to gum disease or bone loss
- The tooth is crowding other teeth to the point that your oral health is at risk
- The tooth is infected with no likelihood of healing
- The tooth has sustained severe damage due to trauma
In some cases, teeth have to be extracted because they did not come out on their own. For example, a “baby” tooth may have to be extracted if it does not come out during childhood.
The Dental Extraction Process Explained
Dental extraction can be a little intimidating, but our team takes all the necessary precautions to keep you comfortable during the procedure. Steps you can expect during a tooth extraction include:
- A topical anesthetic is applied to the gums around the tooth
- Local anesthetic is injected around the tooth to numb the area
- The dentist waits a brief period to allow the anesthetic to take effect
- The tooth is removed using specialized dental tools
What to Expect After an Extraction
After the extraction, you’ll be given general guidelines to make sure you don’t cause any stress on the extraction site. For example, it may be best to avoid extremely hot or cold beverages and drinking from a straw until the area heals and a clot forms over the opening. Any bleeding should subside relatively quickly. Additionally, any discomfort you feel after the procedure is easily managed with over-the-counter ibuprofen or acetaminophen.
Discuss Your Oral Health with a Cocoa, FL Dentist
Dental extractions are exceptionally common procedures, but having the right Cocoa, FL dentist for the procedure can make all the difference. If you believe you have a tooth that needs to be extracted, contact PSJ Dental Care to schedule an appointment.